Apr 20, 2009

Skunk Guts




What a big weekend, first off Sebring West VW VIP night here in Fresno Cal.
Great turn out amazing VW¹s. Some very strange questions especially
later in the night. Someone asked me if some of the cars had been stretched
as in the passenger compartment The guy honest to god thought somebody
made the cars longer as in most of the cars thereŠ

My old friend Stew showed up- he always has his share of interesting
questions as well anyways. Saturday was rest up and work on the house day
or clean up after the painters had made a huge mess.

Sunday morning 0245 rise and shine crazy bird. It's off to Kelly Park in San
Jose Cal. Richard Bowman and myself made the trek. A few mishaps, on the 152
Richard and I both managed to hit a skunk road kill victim fresh road
kill. I managed to collect a few skunk chunks on the old mudflap the
wonderful odors traveled with me for several miles and either I got used to
the smell or it faded away while getting gas Richard and I both compared
notes on the skunk.

0615 we arrive at Kelly Park VW¹s as far as the eye could see good thing
we were 2 hours early. We pull up in line and meet Gary from the San
Francisco area with his 56 beetle very OG and driven daily. I was a bit
chilly so much in fact Gray made me wear his sweatshirt just so I could
talk to him. A quick wipe down of the car except for the skunk chunks I
left those on the mudflap and a quick breakfast burrito and it was 0750
time to roll we were in the gate in less than 10 minutes. Found the spot
Ovals Only Richard was really torn between Splits and Ovals just glad he
registered.

Swap meet find were limited although later in the hot afternoon it seemed
folks were giving the stuff away. I got a nice stock jack for 7 bucks from
the 4444 oval guy in Sacramento. A box of 62-67 taillights for 25¢. A bag of
W-decklid wing nuts for the license plate for $3. I wish I needed or could
carry sheet metal decklids and fenders were almost free.

We traveled on the very long hot trip home with Bruce and Gary stopped to
Los Banos for a couple of hours to help out some fellow club members I
guess they were seeing how fast they could get home and pushed a tad bit to
much blew a valve cover gasket and starting losing oil. Finally got Karl
to bed after 8 and the sun was of course already down.

Next Weekend, Clovis Rodeo Parade- Good times at Chubby's drive in and the
BIG show at Madera let¹s hope the weather calms a bit

No comments:

Post a Comment